The Church of Santa Maria del Piliere was built around half way through the fifteenth century by the Palermitan noblewoman Giulia De Panicolis. A wooden statue of the Virgin was rediscovered on a pillar where the church was built. Once the statue was found there was a renewed interest in Palermo, especially in regard to Giulia De Pancolis; in fact a church was founded in her honour.
After the noblewoman’s death the church became the central meeting point for various groups, including; shoemakers, silversmiths, the “Angelini” congregation and the knights of Saint Giacomo.
Between 1749-1750 the church was refurbished several times. This included the fitting of a richly ornate door and a group of sculptures made by Serpotta. There were also seventeenth century frescoes produced typical of Vito D’Anna, showing Bible scenes and the birth of Sansone. Due to war damage the church was closed in the years immediately following the war and during the sixties the church had to undergo much conservation.
Saturday and Sunday 10.00 – 18.00
Piazzetta Angelini, n°1 – Palermo
Full ticket: 2.50
Reduced ticket: 1.50
Reduction for groups of 10 and for Circuito del Sacro ticket holders
Special thanks to Laura Williams for her translation