Oratory of St. Lorenzo

The oratory was built circa the year 1569 by the brotherhood of San Francesco d’Assisi on the remains of an antique church dedicated to San Lorenzo. The brotherhood consisted of Genoese merchants devoted to San Francesco, who used the oratory up until the year 1950.

There used to be an altarpiece painted by Caravaggio in the oratory between the years 1609 and 1969. However the masterpiece was stolen on the 17 October 1969 and has still not been found. In 2015 Factum Arte digitally reconstructed the image and the reproduction can be seen in the oratory today.

The place is embellished with stucco made by Giacomo Serpotta, who worked on the decorations between 1699 and 1706. The designs are considered to be the Palermitan artist’s best work.

Along the walls remain the original “teatrini” narrating the lives of San Lorenzo and San Francesco as well as notably realistic allegorical statues.

The room is made even prettier because of the “putti” decorations, which can be seen playing and joking around together in the oratory.

Visiting Times:
Everyday 10.00 -18.00
Closed 25th December and 15th August
24 December 10:00 – 14:00
31 December 10:00 – 14:00
01 January 14:00 – 18:00

Via Immacolatella 5 – Palermo

Full ticket: 2.50
Reduced ticket: 1.50

Reduction for groups of 10 and for Circuito del Sacro ticket holders



Special thanks to Laura Williams for her translation